What is Qaumi Sehat Card?
Qaumi Sehat Card (National Health Card) is a Micro-health Insurance initiative currently available for citizens of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Punjab, Gilgit Baltistan Azad Kashmir, Islamabad, and Tharparkar (Sindh) under the Sehat Sahulat Program (Healthcare Convenience Program) by the Government of Pakistan. Under the program, millions of people belonging to low-income families are getting swift and free inpatient healthcare services without any financial obligations.
Holding a Sehat Card allows you to receive health services in many Public and Private Hospitals across the designated regions. You can access those facilities and get treatment and care in case of accident and medical emergency, and for diseases like diabetes, kidney diseases, Hepatitis B and C, and all types of cancers. Furthermore, Sehat Card holders can also receive free COVID-19 treatment.
Who is Eligible for Sehat Card?
Currently, all citizens of Pakistan earning less than $2/day can access this program and receive free medical care, as surveyed under Ehsaas Kafaalat / Benazir Income Support Program (BISP).
All permanent residents of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (including the residents of merged districts from ex-FATA), Punjab, Islamabad, and Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK), as per NADRA records, are covered under the program regardless of their income.
Update January 2022 - Eligibility for Sehat Card in Punjab: Currently, the population of 7 districts of Sahiwal and D.G. Khan and Lahore divisions are covered under the program, while in the remaining 29 districts, poor people (earning less than $2 per day 32.5 PMT according to NSER based on BISP Survey), along with persons with disabilities, and transgender community who are registered with NADRA, are eligible.
The Government of the Punjab intends to include all citizens of Punjab province into the program by 31st March, 2022. You can learn more from the PHIMC website.
Note: The Government of Pakistan is gradually expanding the scope of the program across the country.
Health Cover Under Sehat Card
The Sehat Card provides comprehensive medical cover for eligible card holders including:
- Free-of-cost hospitalization, emergency services, in-patient services (all medical and surgical cases), fractures/injuries, referral transportation, maternity services, and free follow-ups.
- Other than secondary care services, eight major diseases are also covered under priority cover package, including cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, burns and road traffic accidents, kidney diseases, chronic diseases (TB, Hepatitis A, B and C, HIV, chronic liver disease), organ failure, oncology, and neurosurgical services. See this link for complete list of diseases covered under the program.
- The cardholder can get treatment worth up to PKR 720,000 annually. This amount can be further topped up if needed. If a cardholder or his/her family member suffers from any major disease, the treatment will not be discontinued due to exhaustion of insurance amount, but the government can provide a further PKR 360,000 per family per annum and get the treatment completed.
- If a patient dies while under treatment, burial support of PKR 10,000 is also paid to the family.
Currently, the following two treatment packages are available for the beneficiaries of the program. The details for available packages are updated on the PM Health Program Website.
1. Secondary Care
- Initial coverage PKR 60,000 / family / year
- Additional coverage PKR 60,000 / family
2. Priority Treatment
- Initial coverage PKR 300,000 / family / year
- Additional coverage PKR 300,000 / family
For more information, see the complete list of hospitals on panel under Sehat Sahulat Program, as well as the detailed Benefit Package for Sehat Card.
In addition to the medical facilities, the card also provides support in transportation for patients. This includes PKR 1,000 paid per family per visit for a maximum of three visits per year.
How to Check Eligibility and Use Sehat Card
1. You can check eligibility for Sehat Card via the following methods:
a) Check your Eligibility via SMS: To check eligibility, send an SMS with your National Identity Card number to 8500 or 9780 for KP.
b) Check Eligibility Online: You can also check your Sehat Card eligibility by using this online tool
c) Check Eligibility via Mobile App: You can also check your Sehat Card eligibility by using this Android App (Punjab Only).
Note: if your name isn't appearing among eligible individuals, and you believe this is due to an error, you can contact this official helpline for further assistance: 0800-09009 (Rest of Country) and 0800-89898 (KP). You can also call these numbers for Punjab 042-99332647 / 042-99332266.
2. Your CNIC is your Sehat Card: If you are eligible, you can use your CNIC card as your default Sehat Card.
3. Gather Information and Documents Required: Select your desired empaneled hospitals for Sehat Sahulat Program. Take your original CNIC when you visit the Government/ Private hospital.
In case of a child under the age of 18, take their B-Form along with the CNIC of one their parents.
4. Use Your Sehat Card to Get Medical Treatment: After reaching the hospital, you may approach the dedicated Sehat Sahulat Program counter for further assistance. The SSP staff will verify your eligibility through your CNIC and guide you to the relevant hospital department for treatment.
5. Get the Treatment Free of Cost: The cost of treatment after the patient has been admitted in the hospital shall be charged from the Sehat Card.
Contact Information for Sehat Card Related Information
You can see additional information on Sehat Sahulat Program in these brochures in Urdu and Sindhi as well as the Frequently Asked Questions section in English. For information on Sehat Sahulat Program in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, detailed information can be found in this online booklet in Urdu.
Contact Information for Khyber Pakhtunkhwa: For queries regarding Sehat Card in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, you can call at 0800-89898 (KP) or send an email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. For more details, see this website by the Government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa: Sehat Card - KP.
Contact Information for Punjab: For queries regarding Sehat Card in Punjab you can call at 0800-09009 or 042-99332647 / 042-99332266 or send an email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. For more details, see the Punjab Health Iniative Management Company (PHIMC) website: Sehat Card - Punjab.
Contact Information for Other Areas: For queries regarding Sehat Card in other areas you can call at 0800-09009 send an email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. For more details, see this website, PM Health Program.
List of Panel Hospitals Under Sehat Card
You can see the list of empaneled hospitals from your area via these portals:
Click Here for List of Panel Hospitals for Sehat Card
For queries related to Sehat Card, the Sehat Sahulat program or healthcare services in Pakistan, you can send us a private message via our Bolo Facebook Page. Our dedicated team of moderators respond to queries from Monday to Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.